Can your employees choose their own device at work?
In my role as an Apple® solutions architect at CompuCom, I’ve seen how employees being able to choose their own work device — as opposed to enabling them to bring their own device — can be a strong motivational tool at many companies. Employee satisfaction can’t help it but go up if they get to upgrade their mobile devices, and get a vote in advance of such a major investment.
As recent studies have shown, a majority of employees with such an option are choosing iPad, iPhone or Mac devices from Apple.
But I’m not here to debate which solutions your employees should choose. They should decide for themselves and for your organization. But, if they do choose iOS® or Mac®, I’d like to you to know about the Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and how it can enable your employees to automate the device-enrollment process.
The Apple DEP simplifies initial setup by automating device-management enrollment and the supervision of devices during setup; and it enables you to manage the devices without touching them. The DEP also allows you to skip many Setup Assistant screens, so users can begin using their new devices right out of the box.
Here’s more about some of the program’s features:
- Zero-touch configuration: Because you can automate mobile-device management (MDM) enrollment for every device, upon activation you can immediately configure account settings, apps, and access to IT services over the air. There’s no need to physically access each device to complete the setup. By using DEP with services such as those provided by CompuCom, you also can have your devices asset-tagged and kitted with accessories, and still cut down on the amount of time spent configuring and enrolling devices. This streamlined process also adds up to cost savings.
- Mandatory and lockable MDM enrollment: You can automatically manage all of your Apple devices. When completing the Setup Assistant, each device can be preconfigured to require automatic enrollment into MDM. This ensures that devices are configured based on your organization’s requirements, and guarantees that all users can get the same setup on their devices. You can also lock each users’ device for ongoing management.
- Wireless supervision: By enabling Supervision Mode, you get a higher level of device management for institutionally owned iOS devices. This mode allows additional restrictions, such as turning off iMessage or Game Center, and it provides additional device configurations and features, such as web content filtering and single-app mode. You can wirelessly enable Supervision Mode on a device as a part of the setup process.
- Streamlined Setup Assistant: The DEP makes it even easier to set up users on iPad, iPhone or Mac. After you’ve configured devices through your MDM solution, users are guided through the activation process with the built-in Setup Assistant. Streamline the Setup Assistant even further by specifying that certain screens be skipped.
- MDM help, and more: Many customers have a hard time training staff and allocating resources to device management, especially on new devices such as those from Apple in their environment. CompuCom has helped many DEP customers by augmenting its IT where needed. Sometimes, the need is a renewable contract. Other times, it's just help needed to get things going and then slowly transition responsibilities back to the customer’s staff. Either way, a la carte or turn-key, CompuCom can get an entire Apple fleet deployed and managed with full lifecycle services.